View Single Post
Old 12-22-2014, 03:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
I cant see FM ever using Richard as a producer again. I'd love it to happen but I just cant see it happening. I don't keep up with his blog but do read back through it every now and again. I don't see a great deal of evidence to suggest the band are really keen to recruit his services. Its sad to say but I think Richard still lives with (misguided) hope of working with them again.

Ken's book didn't always paint a good picture of Lindsey but in the main I think his opinions were balanced and he gave credit where it was due. I wonder how they'd get on now... Lindsey has mellowed so much I can see him getting on well with Ken (though I think those bridges are probably long burned).

Lindsey has mellowed to the point I think he's now very comfortable with the idea of collaborating with other producers provided they are the right person. I think he's shown that with his work with Mitchell Froome (and to a lesser extent his work with Trent Reznor).

Well, Lindsey and Ken were together in the last couple of years when Lindsey won some award… Les Paul innovator?? or some-such award. Ken was one of the presenters. The video is somewhere on youtube, at least that's where I saw it. Awkward is certainly one word for their interaction.

Ken has gone on to have other producing successes. His daughter Colbie Callait for one. Richard honestly never went on to work on anything that was a big hit based on the work he's listed in the blog. He seems to have been *asked* to work on a lot of stuff… Ken asked him to work with him on some big-name stuff (I forget now… some big, big names in the 80s) and he says Jimmy Iovine asked him to join his team with Shelly Yakus (this occurred during the making of Mirage in France when Jimmy had accompanied Stevie). He turned it all down, he says out of loyalty to the band. One suspects out of loyalty and/or risk of pissing off Lindsey. He seems on one hand to have some regrets about missing those opportunities, but then tries to be philosophical about it on the other.

It makes me think this is part of his eventual "breakup" with LB and some of his clearly negative feelings about their relationship. I think he feels partly like he gave up (yes, it was his choice) other professional opportunities out of some sense of loyalty to LB and then LB went and worked with other producers and left him out (Richard wrote he was rather hurt when LB worked with Roy Thomas Baker without him) and then moved on without him totally. Sort of like a woman who gives up her career to support her man and then he leaves her down the line anyway.