View Single Post
Old 07-06-2015, 12:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by haleyd View Post
Lol I'm confused... Why don't Stevie's stories "count"?!
Because Stevie wildly exaggerates, changes her recollections frequently, and makes claims others flat-out refute. Part of this is due to her flamboyant personality; part is due to her long-term drug usage. She was being serious when she sang "long nets of white cloud my memory."

Regarding Lindsey's past treatment of women... I struggled with how I felt about that for a long time. The reality is that multiple women have accused him of physical and psychological abuse. While Carol Ann and Stevie each have their own reasons for bringing this to public attention, I don't think their interests have common threads or roots. So this tends to make me believe that their claims are indeed true.

That being said, each of these women are known to embellish the truth. Both were completely strung out on drugs at the time... as was Lindsey. Drugs not only change behavior amongst people, they can also greatly effect memory. Am I putting some blame on Stevie and Carol Ann? Hardly. However, truth has many facets to examine.

Let's not forget Christine, Mick, and John have all recounted at various times Lindsey's assaulting Stevie on and off stage. All of these stories which have been relayed to the public start to build a broader picture of Lindsey's behavior back then.

However, everything seemed to change for Lindsey after he ended his time with Carol Ann and Fleetwood Mac in the 1980s. I think he finally was able to center himself after all of that- he was able to let go of his anger at losing Stevie, and at his career not quite taking the route he'd hoped. He seems like a different man these days- gone is the neurotic, frazzled, insecure, angst-ridden young man of the 70s and 80s... and in it's place a much more contented man. Part of it is marriage and children. Part of it is maturity. But more than anything, I think it was his walking away from FM for a decade that righted himself.

Regarding how this whole thing affects my opinion of Lindsey and FM is complex. I'm cognoscente of it. I accept it. I don't give him a pass. At the same time, he seems like a wholly different person now. He has conquered his demons, he has become a better person. And for that, he has my respect.

Now if he and Kristin were to split, and she were to relay stories of abuse... that would change everything. However, I just don't think that's going to happen.