View Single Post
Old 07-22-2014, 05:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Definitely. Especially from about '67-74 or thereabouts. Covers got a bit tamer after about '75 or '76. Although, there were always the exceptions.

Check out the old King Crimson album covers (especially their first album In The Court Of The Crimson King from 1969) .

Jethro Tull's first few album covers were a bit odd. There were a few bands who used Hieronymous Bosch paintings/drawings on their covers. (Pearls Before Swine, Deep Purple). One of his paintings, "Garden Of Earthly Delights" spawned a couple of album covers...the band using different sections of the very large tryptich.
Plus, some other album covers done by other artists were very much influenced by Bosch (Alan Aldridge's cover for Elton John's Captain Fantastic... album & whoever did the cover for Frank Zappa's Overnight Sensation album. )
Just looked them all up. Though I agree they are all pretty strange, I personally still find the Fleetwood Mac covers more disturbing. I think its because there's an actual person on the cover rather than a painting. I think I find them odd as they don't really do anything- they aren't exactly art. They aren't making a statement. They aren't tremendously provocative. Of all things they could have come up with- they went with those!!!!!

King Crimson- In The Wake of Poseidon Looks equally or more freaky. Would you recommend In The Court of... as an album to listen to?
Frank Zappa- now that you mention FZ I've just remembered I own Trout Mask Replica from that period- that's pretty out there (in all ways).