View Single Post
Old 07-23-2014, 04:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
My peak era of listening to Zappa was from about '72-75, so the albums that were released during that stretch (and I went backwards a few years, too) are some of my faves:

Probably starting with stuff released around 1969:

Crusin' With Ruben & The Jets
Uncle Meat
Hot Rats
Burnt Weeny Sandwich
Weasels Ripped My Flesh
Chunga's Revenge
Just Another Band From LA
Waka/Jawaka
The Grand Wazoo
Overnite Sensation
Apostrophe
Roxy & Elsewhere

While I thought the Mothers' Live At The Fillmore 1971 was ok, I wasn't that enthralled with it, but when I later discovered that one side of the live material that John & Yoko released on their Sometime In New York City album was the encore from the show that was released by Zappa, it gave it a whole new perspective. Sometimes, Zappa's gross-out humor gets a bit much, the instrumental portions of his albums are what I listen to the most; although I do like a few of his lyrics, too.
Great! Thanks. Love Hot Rats. Yeah, know what you mean about the humor. Out of these which would you say are the most family friendly (if any)? There's someone that wants to get into his stuff but is assuming all his stuff is like that. I have shown them the instrumental stuff I know of from him & that's what peaked their interest but haven't been able to find a "not so adult Zappa" list on the web.

John