View Single Post
Old 07-23-2014, 09:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Was it common place for bands to release such strange covered albums back in those days?
It was an "anything goes" approach when it comes to album cover design in the late sixties and throughout the seventies. John Lennon and Yoko appear completely naked on the cover of his early solo albums. They are standing together, letting it all hang out. It was sold with a paper bag covering it. ( I obtained the album, and it still had the paper bag with it).

Consider the tight, restrictive standards still in place in the mid-sixties. The Mamas and Papas released their debut album in 1966. The cover featured all four members (clothed) in a bathtub. To the right of them you see a toilet. Only a few of those made it to the market before the censors deemed it inappropriate, so all future pressings have the "offensive" toilet covered with a listing of some of the songs. (I was able to obtain the toilet cover album, which is quite a rarity).

I wish I could reference my album collection (about 500+) to list some bizarre, as well as creative and beautiful album covers. Alas, they are all in storage on the other side of the country.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 07-23-2014 at 10:05 PM..