View Single Post
Old 06-07-2004, 12:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn
It was the New Meanness.
I think the worst thing about Reagan overall was the idea listed above.

Reagan actively wanted to snip 1956 through 1980 right out of history and just forget that the "awakening" of America ever happened. People then had carte blache to treat everyone else who didn't live up to the moral standards of the 1948 like ****- meaning gays, the poor, anyone who committed or (even more importantly) suspected of committing any kind of crime, free thinkers, those who opposed authoritarian abuse, etc. It was a really deep, dark reversal that this country has still not recovered from.

I remember being in high school during the absolute height of Reagan/Falwell salivation central. Dudes would come to school in suits, praising Reaganomics and the Moral Majority without even understanding what the policies were, who was being disenfranchised and the horrifying consequences to follow. It was pathetic.

Nixon definitely was evil- but his evil came from desiring power and devotion. Reagan didn't want anyone to love him, he didn't care. He was evil because he wanted to force his morality on the rest of the world. Forget the fact that the idiot hadn't advanced mentally since 1941- everyone else could f**k off and go straight to hell.

Reagan really WAS the beginning of true hypocrisy in politics. He was an awful man who never should have been in power. The only people he ever helped were the wealthy, all the while instilling shame in the masses to silence them from noticing the incredible shift of wealth, not to mention all the other evil things that were going on.

While I could care less whether or not Reagan is alive or dead (he already did all his damage), I would have liked him to kick the bucket after the election. You just know the republican convention is going to have a ten hour suckfest trying to manipulate the public into voting for scuzzbag Dubya.

On the other hand, at least he didn't die during October/November when it could have REALLY done some damage. Post 2000 America's short attention span can't even hold onto images for more than a week at best. Maybe Britney will get caught on tape or Paris Hilton will get married to Nick Carter .