View Single Post
Old 12-22-2008, 02:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moz View Post
Okay, what are some suggestions aside from good ol' Buddy?
I just noticed the words ASIDE FROM. Aye yea yea, senility must be catching up to me quicker than I knew!

Ok rockabilly in a nutshell: Carl Perkins, Bill Haley, Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Roy Orbison were some of the biggest acts that dipped their heels in and out of rockabilly early on, to varying degrees. The rockabilly scene was going pretty strong until the coming of the Beatles and the British Invasion. Ironically, the Beatles were BIG admirers of the genre. In fact, John Lennon recorded an album in 1975 called "Rock 'n' Roll" that contains a whole slew of rockabilly hits - the cover even shows him in full Gene Vincent leather! WOOT. Big guns of the size of Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page were also influenced by rockabilly musicians.

On the heels of the early artists cited above came acts like Eddie Cochran, Gene Vincent, and Rick Nelson.

More modern acts include Dave Edmunds, with or without his band band Rockpile. Queen touched on it with their Crazy Little Thing Called Love, the last rockabilly song to hit #1 on Billboard. The most commercially successful of the newer rockabilly artists would have to be Brian Setzer & The Stray Cats. There's also The Blasters led by Phil and Dave Alvin out of Downey, California. John Fogerty touches on it a bit here and there, like with Centerfield from 1985. Then there's rowdy Hank Williams, Jr. on the country side of things I suppose. There's others to boot alluding me at the moment, that's for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moz View Post
Ah, it feels good to find "new" songs (hey, I'm seventeen, any music pre-1960 is new to me)! Thanks for the recommendations.
DANG Moz, you're already made in the shade. Big ups so far mate.

PS. Now go read those threads I mentioned earlier, in full. You'll only be that much wiser.