View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012, 02:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
Quite right Doodyhead This Jeremy not playing second guitar for Peter's songs situation has always puzzled me It's not like Jeremy could only play on a guitar set to an open tuning -surely !- or even that he only had one guitar available and didn't want to constantly change the tuning ,which is a pain I must admit !. It was inevitable that a third guitarist would be required to provide the chordal harmony to Peter's lead (This was ,as it turned out, not a bad thing ,as this three guitar line up produced three of the four greatest concerts I've ever seen !¬)

Jeremy, if you're out there ,you were very open in the Peter Green Documentery when you were talking candidly about not having anything to offer when Then Play On was being made ,perhaps you could be equally candid here , and cast some light on this backing guitar situation Peter obviously greatly admired your playing ,and was ,I have always felt ,very fond of you as a person which is why he allowed youto slope offstage ,leaving them as a trio to play Peter's numbers -something I suspect he would not have tollerated from anyone else .! Was it just lack of self confidence in your straight (non open tuning¬) guitar playing ? I can't believe that !

And while I'm at it - I too love Christine's piano playing on the Mr Wonderful tracks (which I also think have some of Peter's best phrasing ever ) but why weren't you playing piano , did they suggest it to you but you declined ?

The cause, and effect! So what you, and vinnie are writing is that if Peter Green stayed, Jeremy Spencer would have no need to leave because Peter Green was the natural leader of the band. Yet if you saw the 2007 BBC Peter Green documentary, Jeremy felt like he had nothing else to offer after "Then Play On". If you read Jeremy Spencer's reply to my "dream" scenario, he didn't offer a different opinion.

What bothers me most, is that every known recording post Munich 3/70, Peter Green plays the best guitar of his career. Stockholm's 4/1/70 version of "I've Got a Good Mind to Give Up Living" crushes the famous New Orleans version from 1/70. Carlos Santana couldn't touch Peter Green's version of "Black Magic Woman" from the Roundhouse Chalk Farm, 4/24/70.

So how does "Syd Barrett #2" according to den mother Mick Fleetwood play his best guitar after "he took a trip, and never came back" in Munich 3/70? Not to mention lumping Danny Kirwan into the incident. While Peter Green did become sick a couple years later, blaming him for leaving 5/70 was not because he was mentally ill.

While Mick Fleetwood has done a lot for former FM members, his spin of the "myth" of FM is really disingenuous.