View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012, 10:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
The cause, and effect! So what you, and vinnie are writing is that if Peter Green stayed, Jeremy Spencer would have no need to leave because Peter Green was the natural leader of the band. Yet if you saw the 2007 BBC Peter Green documentary, Jeremy felt like he had nothing else to offer after "Then Play On". If you read Jeremy Spencer's reply to my "dream" scenario, he didn't offer a different opinion.

What bothers me most, is that every known recording post Munich 3/70, Peter Green plays the best guitar of his career. Stockholm's 4/1/70 version of "I've Got a Good Mind to Give Up Living" crushes the famous New Orleans version from 1/70. Carlos Santana couldn't touch Peter Green's version of "Black Magic Woman" from the Roundhouse Chalk Farm, 4/24/70.

So how does "Syd Barrett #2" according to den mother Mick Fleetwood play his best guitar after "he took a trip, and never came back" in Munich 3/70? Not to mention lumping Danny Kirwan into the incident. While Peter Green did become sick a couple years later, blaming him for leaving 5/70 was not because he was mentally ill.

While Mick Fleetwood has done a lot for former FM members, his spin of the "myth" of FM is really disingenuous.
I think Peter was always the rather uneasy natural leader I don't think he particularly wanted to be ,but he did it and did it superbly .
I thought Jeremy said he had nothinhg to offer song wise for the album , and I assumed (I mean what I concluded 40 years ago when I was reading that he wasnt involved via the music press ) wast hat he was not confident in composing original material which I absolutely sympathise with .(sticking another three ELmore James tracks on Then Play on would have been a mistake )But he had plenty to offer post TPO -the live performances some of the finest ever as demonstrated in you quite rightly beloved Boston Tea Party recordings for example As Doody head so rightly said in one of his posts- you got three great bands for the price of one when they played live !

I absolutely agree with you about Peter's finest playing post Munich(though the sparse and beautifully phrased playing of the Mr.Wonderful era is up there with it in my opinion)¬ whatever happened there did not affect his playing ,dare I say that I go the impression from his interveiws in the doc, that he felt it helped , or he felt he did wonderful playing whilst there (not Jeremy's opinion at all if I recall correctly )¬but this does not mean that he wasnt in torment in his personal life or his spirituality To be fair to Mick, he says that they were unaware of what was going on ie the lyrics to Manalishi -they thought they were just song lyrics ,and we thought they were just song lyrics( of a great song )and there was no indication on stage- his inter song chat- that anything was amiss .

Jeremy himself said that he felt Danny was badly affected by Munich (till I saw this doc I had no idea Danny was even there for 40 years the story was that Peter was there all by himself virtually kidnapped !) So it's not just Mick's spin