View Single Post
Old 12-22-2008, 02:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
WOW! That's the truest statement you've ever posted.
What? What does THAT supposed to mean!

Buddy Holly took Sun record Elvis and made it better. The Crickets are the first modern rock band IMHO.

It could be argued Bill Haley's band was the first true group, and Elvis the first true rocker (with Jerry Lee Lewis and Chuck Berry right on their heels), but I would say Buddy Holly was the foremost to capture the purest form of what we still readily identify today as "rock n roll". All of the above, along with Carl Perkins, had a distinct hand in the making of the genre, let's make no bones about that. There was also Little Richard parenthetically, but he was more R&B based. But from my vantage point, Holly was the purest.

At the age of nine, I had a 2 LP MCA collection of Buddy Holly songs. I was hooked for life. I now have a 2CD collection of many of the great songs, but I'm a little miffed that it doesn't have the GREAT song "Dearest" that's featured on the "Juno" soundtrack. It's only available as an import.

Great song. It's true, once you sample a good BH collection, you'll immediately know where so much of what we take for granted and groove to began, in better depth than ANY of the above mentioned artists. Call him the truest of the true! To think, all of his stuff was written and recorded within roughly a 3 year period! DAYUM

There's a reason Don McLean lamented Holly's death with his immortal American Pie.

Good to see you're so into Holly slipkid, and that you started so young. There's hope for you yet!

BTW, I'm still waiting for your Grateful Dead response to my post on another thread .

Alright, alright. I'll have to go revisit that thread. Now where is it?