View Single Post
Old 09-09-2013, 11:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowk View Post
Finally got my copy
The sound is great, better than on 1996 CD edition.
This CD is simply a masterpiece !!
Some interesting things in the liner notes:
Mick Fleetwood mentions about Green's influence on Jimi Page and J. Hetfield, K. Hammmet from Metallica.
There is also a comfirmation, that on Oh Well Part Two Sandra Eldson* plays recorder.
Robert Plant has publicly acknowledged that the Led Zeppelin song "Black Dog" was directly influenced by "Oh Well". (which comes full circle when Jimmy Page played "Oh Well" with the Black Crowes on their live album together, amongst a bunch of LZ covers). I'd even go as far as to name a 2nd song that Jimmy knicked from Peter...on Physical Graffitti there's a middle section of the song "Ten Years Gone" that sounds a little bit too close to "Green Manalishi" to be coincidence.

And, of course, there's the well-known confession of both Lennon & Harrison admitting they pretty much stole "Albatross" for Abbey Road's "Sun King".

I always wondered why Clapton never mentioned Peter Green much in interviews through the years, but lately, he's name-dropped Peter in a few recent interviews. Maybe Eric's finally giving credit where it's due? Maybe he's finally wanting to SHARE the "White English Blues God" label that he's pretty much worn alone for so long.

* = "Sandy Mary"??

Ok, ok, ok...you've all convinced me that I need (not just "want", but "need") to get this new reissue. I was just happy as a clam with my copy of TPO on my iPod, adding the two English Rose tracks & "Green Manalishi" & even stealing a version of "World In Harmony" from either Vaudeville Years or Show Biz Blues (don't remember which); and unceremoniously omitting "When You Say" altogether. {sigh!} Ok, I order mine tomorrow.

Last edited by chiliD; 09-10-2013 at 12:04 AM..