View Single Post
Old 09-01-2014, 10:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew View Post
With 'Trouble In Shangri-La,' I had heard the entire album well before its release date. I still trekked to the store that morning and bought it, but listening to it that day was rather anti-climactic. So in the lead-up to 'In Your Dreams,' I swore that I wouldn't listen to it before release day. And then Rolling Stone streamed the entire album, and I caved in like a West Virginia coal-mine.

I seem to have no will-power where Stevie's new music is concerned, so I can't swear I won't listen to '24 Karat Gold' in its entirety before October 7th -- but I'm sure going to try not to. Hopefully the 15-second snippets, and the four digital singles, will help keep me in line.
I was working at Borders Books back in 2001, and my manager brought me a promo copy of TISL about a month before it was released. The CD was just a plain red, and it was only in a cardboard sleeve. I LOVED the album, but like you Johnny, I bought the "real copy" on release day and it was also a tad anti-climactic. I was thrilled with the album artwork and liner notes, though.

I also streamed IYD via RollingStone.com a few days before release...and when my copy came in the mail, it was also a tad anti-climactic.

I consider the vinyl version of 24KG to be its "release day" on 9/30, even if the regular version does "officially" come out a week later. So if it does get leaked online or gets a free stream somewhere, I'm going to TRY MY BEST to refrain from listening until that vinyl record comes in the mail. I want my first listening experience to be putting that record on my turntable, and letting it fill my living room in stereo surround.

Willpower....

...of course, I say this NOW, but...