View Single Post
Old 04-04-2003, 12:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I like most of the blues material he did a lot, he was obviously bringing something original to it. When You Say from that time is not blues but is experimental and some have said they don't appreciate that song. I think he was very aware of what Clapton was going through at the same time, from Yardbirds to Bluesbreakers to Cream and into some uncharted explorations eventually into reggae and laid back funk-rock sensibilities, and his growing as a vocalist as well. So I think these changes were maybe more Kirwan led rather than FM-Christine led really. And who is to say Clapton wasn't following what Kirwan was up to and drawing some courage from that as well? I guess some people don't like artists who change a lot, like Joni Mitchell who was on American Masters last night, people want them to just do one kind of music, but Kirwan is more interesting and impressive for having evolved and taken chances in doing things that were not expected. He did feel too that the blues was essentially going to be a foreign form of expression for most white artists, but he did create a few great blues tunes of his own, and great playing is never a waste is it?