View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013, 01:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
Danny Kirwan's story is more like Jimmy McCollough, except Danny just drank. Jimmy OD'd on heroin. That would've been Kirwan's fate had he chose the Rolling Stones in 1969 vs. FM. While Danny Kirwan is living from hostel to hostel in Europe, Jimmy McCollough died in 1979 at the age of 26. Danny still wanders Europe.
Speaking of Jimmy McColloch, I've always thought (after hearing Danny's first 2 solo albums) that he would've been the perfect lead guitarist for Wings. Of course, it wouldn't have been all that democratic, but Danny probably would've gotten at least ONE song per album (like Denny Laine got)...I can definitely hear a LOT of Wings (and Beatles) influence in his song "I Can Tell" from Midnight In San Juan and most of Second Chapter is quite "McCartney-esque". He & Paul may have gotten to be a fairly good songwriting team...of course nothing tops Lennon/McCartney, but McCartney/Kirwan may have been pretty darned good.