View Single Post
Old 05-04-2010, 11:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Agreed! Those long jams are amazing. Always found Green Manalishi a bit boring, though. Much prefer the Madge jams.
If there's any evidence in "noodling" with FM it was the Fender Bass VI live jams at the end of "Green Manalishi". I tend to ignore, or forget that because Peter Green isn't playing guitar. Yet, it's similar to Berry Oakley's bass solo in "Mountain Jam". The Allmans loved to pull out that slide solo/Dickey Betts trill lick a lot to carry a couple measures ("Whipping Post", " In Memory of Elizabeth Reed").

With "Rattlesnake Shake" it's pure jam.

It starts with the original song, then comes the extended Peter Green solo (always inventive, never derivative), later comes the "Madge Jam" sequence at a faster tempo. After that is the dual guitar face off with harmonized guitars (done before the Allmans were "famous"). From that it goes into the "Underway" section. This is where Peter Green shows he was just as accomplished as Jeff Beck, or Jimi Hendrix in terms of controlling tone, and volume. Again, Peter Green was a master of dynamics, and using volume to achieve surprise. Finally, the jam drifts into a bit of "space", they find their bearings, and the final intense jam push arises. To end this great piece of work, Peter Green uses one of the greatest rock riffs I will ever hear in my lifetime (it's heard faintly at the end of the studio version of RS).