Thread: Coming Your Way
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2003, 02:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Not necessarily...

though I prefer the original studio version of "Oh Well" by Peter & the gang by a longshot over all other versions...when it comes to LIVE versions, I actually prefer the 1987 version by Billy Burnette & Rick Vito as released on the B-side of FMac's "As Long As You Follow" single over any live version I've heard with Peter Green.

But, considering Peter Green hasn't been a member of Fleetwood Mac since 1970, and Danny Kirwan since 1972, if I want to hear Fleetwood Mac TODAY play a song from Then Play On, it would obviously have to be played by Lindsey Buckingham. Chances are, I might LIKE the new take of the song by the current incarnation. Of all the pre-1975 material I've heard the "Rumours" incarnation play, "Oh Well" was by far the weakest...yet, Lindsey's versions of Danny Kirwan's tunes sounded like they were his own ("Station Man", "Tell Me All The Things You Do", "Sunny Side Of Heaven") So, after hearing the live version of "Coming Your Way" on the Showbiz Blues CD, it just hit me that I COULD hear Buckingham playing & singing it in a way that would be pleasing to my ears...actually, it was Mick's drumming then vs how he plays NOW that really intrigued me as to how CYW would possibly sound today.