View Single Post
Old 04-05-2009, 04:50 PM
Ledgie

[QUOTE=Doctor Brown;77206]

It will be interesting to hear Blue Horizon's thoughts on meeting Danny. I think that we are lucky that Danny idolized Peter Green, and was able to come in and play with the ability that he did.

I met Danny twice with my friend.... only briefly after a couple of gigs in London. Because he went to school with my friend and obviously had a connection and a rapport with him he seemed fairly relaxed on both occasions, but I came away with the impression that Danny was being swept along on a tide that was really hard for him to handle. FM was riding really high in 1969 and since joining the band everything was turning to GOLD for them. Being that young, living in South London and coming from a working class background and then catapulted into one of the biggest bands around would have been hard for anyone to handle.

The first time I met him he looked really tired having been on the road for a few weeks and his finger tips on his left hand were red raw, which I found surprising at the time, but those guitar players amongst you will know that Danny had a unique style of vibrato using his left hand to push and pull those six strings. Didn't seem to bother him though!
He seemed very upbeat about things and was enjoying the attention of the fans etc, and would have chatted for alot longer, but Dinkey Dawson their roadie interrupted saying they had to leave asap. He was just a regular guy with a great deal of talent and I loved and still love his guitar playing and singing.

Having read this thread I would add that FM as a live act at that time, was very reliant on Jeremy's contributions including his EP takes, which went down a storm with the audience and seemed to fire up the rest of the band, especially Peter who would break out into his r&r songs (Jenny Jenny, Long Tall Sally, Twist and Shout etc). Jeremy was very much the leader when center stage, just as Peter was.

Jeremy today is playing better than at any time during his career imo, and I hope at some stage will play a few gigs around the UK. I will be their (wherever!!) hopefully, as the last time I saw him was back in the early 70's at the Marquee in London with 'Albatross'. Also another album as good as PL would be most welcome.
Any news on the above Jeremy?

Great thread........by the way.

Blue Horizon