View Single Post
Old 04-09-2007, 05:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateandGarden View Post
Really? I love Danny Kirwan's songs on that album. Some of my favorite FM songs there. Christine's aren't bad, either.
Well, to be fair, I did pull out Then Play On and Bare Trees and listen to them, which I had not done in a couple of years, at least. You're right, Danny Kirwan's songs are pretty good (though I don't really like Danny's Chant, especially the first part with the annoying guitar reverb, or whatever that is). As for Bob Welch, The Ghost is a pleasant enough song, but I cannot stand Sentimental Lady. I can understand why others like it, and it's not a matter of it being a bad song, it's just a matter of taste. Christine's songs are decent, but in listening to her earlier stuff, I can't help but think that Lindsey brought out the best in her; that, and her songwriting itself just improved over the years.

I'm not quite sure why I remember Then Play On being "too loud." I think I like it the best out of the three "Pre-BN" albums that I have. I don't love every song, but a lot of them are very, very good. They were moving away from being sort of a blues copy-cat group, and it was a good move.

It also seems like Mick & John's playing is way more up front on these earlier albums than in the BN era. Especially after Rumours (and probably after the FM album), it's almost like they're not even there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
You'd be missing out on a lot of great music. Especially Mystery To Me.
Hmm. I'm actually curious about Future Games, but especially when it was just him and Christine, I'm a little skeptical. If there are too many more Sentimental Ladys on the other albums, I'm not sure I could deal.