View Single Post
Old 01-01-2024, 03:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Emeritus View Post
I saw them on their 1995 tour, at Magic Mountain in PA. ugh. It wasn't really so much anyone opening for anyone else...more just a shared bill. if i recall correctly, it was Orleans, REO Speedwagon, Pat Benatar and FM. I think FM was third? I was extremely embarrassed for them. They didn't sound awful but the venue was pretty small and basic, and for me it was painful to see 'fleetwood mac' looking so pathetic compared to the 'hugeness' of their former selves. A lot of people wandered out to the bathroom and for a beer. i think the band that made the best showing that day may have been Pat Benatar. Bekka had a great voice, but to see her up there doing Gold Dust Woman or whatever stevie song she did was bizarre.

At the time, John had emailed me something like that 'the band with Billy and Bekka is over, and Mick and I are on to something new.' So he didn't say/think the band was over completely...but i wonder what he thought was next lol.

I do think the 97 reunion was an amazing surprise. and then chris returning was another amazing surprise.

so sad things turned out as they did later on w LB being fired. I agree their legacy should not have ended as it did. Shame there wasn't a way to somehow work all that out... But i'm grateful for what we got, i guess, because ending on the 1995 note would have been far worse! that was heartbreaking to see.

--Lis
If I could ask Bekka one question it would be about that Gold Dust Woman performance. We know that Bekka got the talk from Chris about certain Stevie songs not to do i.e. Rhiannon, Dreams, etc. Was Gold Dust Woman not on that list? An oversight? Correct me if I am wrong but it was not originally in the set but added in the summer of 95? I cant remember. But how did she get away with performing one of the most identifiable Stevie songs after Chris's talk? Did Mick clear it with Stevie perhaps the Dance talk warmed things up between the two? Did Mick not care at that point and dare Stevie to stop it? Was there a conversation in the band that the audience was not into it unless there was a Stevie song? I am so curious about this.