View Single Post
Old 04-25-2024, 07:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I remember thinking: the arrangements are awful. Some of the songs had beautiful bones. Without all of the bloat and gloss, maybe three or four of the songs would have been very nice. But once Lindsey had left in 87, I lost a lot of interest.

Always loved Love Shines and Heart of Stone, though.

Funny you should mention Out of the Cradle, which I loved. I ended up getting it the same day I bought Time. Naturally, LB's album is a classic, but Time is misunderstood, underrated, and on the whole much better than Mask
. "Sooner or Later" alone was worth the admission. And if you skip the Dave Mason tunes, and the last one...
I'm pretty much with you on this. I don't think Greg Ladanyi did the band any favours with his production and it's noticeable that he wasn't brought back for the later two Chris songs you mentioned. The title track is the best of an otherwise poor set: it has an element of mystery to it that reminds me of HAHTF or MTM. Christine once said the 90s Mac albums were terrible, but as you point out, Time was a better body of work. Yes, BTM wen straight to no 1 in the UK but that was due to a post- Tango/GH momentum. It dropped down the charts soon enough and the singles were duds.