View Single Post
Old 03-16-2024, 11:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
I think Stevie on Midnight Wind is the best example of a BG vocal making a song. And to a lesser extent her backing up Marylin Marrtin covering her own song in sorcerer might be the other greatest BG vocal being the highlight of a song.

This is really where Stevie’s lost the biggest step in my opinion. She’s gone from her BG vocals guaranteed to own a song and take it up at least 2 notches to sometimes barely noticeable or sometimes just terrible (the Elton John song) the only time this century really her backing vocals have really positively impacted a song is that maroon 5 song. That includes all her SYW harmonies
This is so true. Stevie was an amazing harmony vocalist at the beginning of her career. Her harmony and background vocals had the ability to transform a song, even with Fleetwood Mac. Some great examples have already been mentioned, "Gold" and "Magnet and Steel" among them.

Stevie also serves transformative harmony vocals on Tom Petty's "Insider", Fleetwood Mac's "Honey Hi" and "Love in Store", and Sandy Stewart's "Get My Way".

The producers should have left more prominent harmony vocals on the chorus of the studio version of "You Make Loving Fun", there are some mixes of the song that feature her more prominently, but they are absent on the Rumours version.