Thread: Bob Welch
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2005, 05:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretonbanquet
I appreciate the point you're making, even though I compared the Green-era line-up to the current line-up, not the 'Rumours' line-up - and last time I looked, Christine had left. Also I was thinking more of the band as a live attraction - far more people show up to see Stevie than Lindsey or the other two. I accept that's just an opinion and many many people are about to disagree
In general, I'm sure Stevie is the biggest draw of the lot. But even still, I don't think it's a very good analogy. Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac really only required Peter Green. People would have easily accepted the band without Jeremy or Danny. Sure, those two were great on stage, but people would have gone to see Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac if it were Peter, Mick, John, and Stan Webb, Christine Perfect, Kim Simmonds, or any other combination of British blues musicians. Also, look at what happened right after Peter Green quit. People just stopped caring. Even the addition of Christine Perfect, herself a huge star on the British blues scene, couldn't put the band back on top.

With the SYW band, it's not so cut and dry. Unlike Peter Green's FM, we have proof from solo careers and latter day versions of Fleetwood Mac that basically proves the Big Mac is an entity that is greater than any one member. Sure, Stevie is still the biggest selling point the band has. But, if we look at the time after Stevie quit, we see that the "Rumours"/BTM/SYW bands were bigger than any one member. "Time" was a huge flop, but then again, I'm pretty sure things were in motion for a Big Mac version of "Hell Freezes Over" by the time it came out, so of course they weren't going to promote it. What's odd is that Lindsey worked his tail off for OOTC, and it was a flop, and Stevie's "Street Angel," while doing better than OOTC or "Time" still sold less than 300K. So, while SYW wasn't a hit, it was still the most viable studio album released by any of them since BTM. And, honestly, I don't think the live shows would have done well if it had been, say, Mick, John, Stevie, Billy, and Rick.

THE Stephen Hopkins