View Single Post
Old 04-14-2024, 09:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
I've never understood the deep love that "Tango in the Night" gets from critics and Fleetwood Mac fans. The album's sound has definitely not aged well - it's extremely synth heavy and overproduced, like most late 80's music.

The production on Fleetwood Mac's first three albums with the Buckingham Nicks lineup is timeless - the music holds up well and it's not dated. Even "Mirage" is a far superior album to "Tango in the Night".

"Tango in the Night" definitely has some fine moments, but it's far from one of the greatest Fleetwood Mac albums.
Because there is more to songs than just their "sound". Tango had great hit songs, more than Mirage and Tusk. Ergo more people like the album and buy it. And it's hard to call a song like Everywhere or Seven Wonders or Little Lies dated when they keep appearing ad nauseum in ads etc. Seems like they're evergreen and always sound fresh and could have been produced yesterday, like some ABBA hits like Gimme Gimme.

Plus I also really like the sound/vibe and art design of the album and enjoy its cohesive vision of a dark, night-time album, and I assume there must be many other fans and critics who liked this aspect of the album in addition to the individual songs.