View Single Post
Old 03-31-2015, 07:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post

2. Given Christine's long absence, people tend to forget that she was NEVER a center-stage persona and was always a laid-back, earthy performer whose moments of calm were contrasted with the moments of higher drama. Ironically, I think she is exhibiting a lot more personality this tour (not including her lack of actual piano playing) than she did on The Dance.

3. Sexism--the girls' voices are a central issue whereas the boy is heralded as a genius guitar player and musical architect.

4. People expect more vocally from Stevie and Christine because their voices are more distinctive on the original albums.
2. I think Christine was more a director on The Dance tour and in past tours than she is this time. She may be exhibiting more personality in her song intro, but in the past, in between songs if there had to be comments made to the crowd or to another band member, she did that a lot more often in past tours than she does this tour.

3. I don't think it's sexism.

4. Agreed. Lindsey has never been known for having a distinctive voice, anyway. People probably don't remember what he sounded like before enough to care about what he sounds like now in contrast. Even I will listen to a song like Magnet and Steel and not notice Lindsey on that. Certainly, I hear Stevie, her background vocals make the song. But Lindsey ... You can know GYOW back and forth, but still not pick up Lindsey's voice in a crowd.

Whereas, many times I can hear Stevie or Christine's voice on a loud speaker when there's noise in the room and I will know it's them BEFORE I can make out what song they are singing. With Lindsey, I recognize the song first and then him -- which is not to say he didn't have a beautiful voice. He did and he still does sometimes. But it is not necessarily unique.

Michele