View Single Post
Old 01-11-2009, 03:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelow View Post
Hello SteveMacD-- I believe I'm in agreement with you. Although I enjoy Christine's Welch-era music, her songwriting and singing both improved after Linds & Stevie joined the band. Still can't figure out if it's the songs themselves, or the arrangement and production values. But, you can certainly hear the difference, beginning with"Warm Ways" on the White Album. Don't get me wrong, there are some wonderful Christine songs pre-Rumours, but the majority of her best work is clearly during the Buckingham-Nicks time. Just my humble opinion, of course. Best always, Madelow.
I dunno if I completely agree. I think Spare Me A Little Of Your Love and Why easily stand up to anything she ever did with Stevie and Lindsey. Also, I don't hear too many major differences between her songs themselves on the white Fleetwood Mac album from the earlier work. After that, I hear some differences, and I think a lot of that can be attributed to moving to L.A., leaving John (and thus having new subject matter), success, and spending much more time on the road (which can be a major boost to creativity).

That having been said, I think it would only make sense that it would sound better. Not even taking into account that they had two singers who had a jones for vocal harmony and found ways to have their voices interact with Christine's, they spent a much greater time producing the albums with that band. They recorded Bare Trees in a week, but spent three months recording white Fleetwood Mac album. Every album since has take a minimum of a year to record.

THE Stephen Hopkins