View Single Post
Old 05-11-2021, 05:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
You mean the wah pedal? Sometimes I hear more wah and sometimes less. Maybe it has something to do with hearing more prominent wah in the levels when the band was playing indoors. I think some 1977 shows were actually outdoors in university stadiums.

She also flubs a line in “Angel” on the new package. The first time I played it, I wondered why the heck they grabbed a show with a botched lyric. But the second time I played it, I actually got a big kick out of it because it immediately took me back to all those Mac shows I remember where Stevie botched a line. I remembered that it was standard operating procedure for Stevie in my big concertgoing years and when it happened it seemed to drive her forward with a compensating energy, as it does here. Now I’m glad I have a flubbed line on the new album and I want to hug Bill Inglot (even though I want to kick him in the shins for screwing up eight or nine dates on the liner notes and wasting an entire full-page spread in the booklet with a photo of the audience).

I am happy with this GDW and the one on the Rumours Deluxe, wherever that comes from. The one from Nashville is pretty atrocious but the Paris rendition is witchy and stately and very precise. That said, my favorite has probably always been from Osaka at the end of the tour — band was on fire that night with incendiary Second Hand News and Go Your Own Way and Oh Daddy, and Stevie delivered the goods on Rhiannon, Landslide, Gold Dust Woman, and her backing vocals. If Warner Records decided to release a full Osaka concert, December 4 1977, I wouldn’t complain to anyone.
I actually like when Stevie flubs lyrics. Its so "Bob Dylan" of her

My annoyance is when she gets the verses messed up which is what she did on this GDW.

For example, when I first saw Stevie live, it she would change words all the time in Edge of 17 "I hear you in the morning and I hear you at sunrise" Sunrise? Isn't sunrise also morning? She changed nightfall for sunrise

My annoyance comes from mixing up verses. Stevie does this almost every live performance of Rooms on Fire and sometimes with Dreams. What a treat to hear Sleeping Angel live in 1998 but how she could not remember the opening line "Take me if you need me but never hold me down" She would just say "Take me sleeping angel"

Changing words is improvising which can be cool in a live set. But mixing up verses drives me nuts. Her most extreme example of this was during a zonked out klonopin 1991 version of Outside the Rain where she just kept singing the third verse over and over

Last edited by Macfan4life; 05-11-2021 at 05:45 AM..