View Single Post
Old 11-19-2014, 04:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DauphineMarie View Post
I think The Dance marked a clear shift from "Relevant Artist" to "Legacy Artist".
You summed up the transition more clearly in 1 sentence than I did in 3 paragraphs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyMI View Post
I actually think the Enchanted Tour till about halfway though recording TISL was her "last hurrah" of "young" Stevie. She was vocally and physically back at her peak. Those vocals rocked. She had not sounded that good or hit those notes (other than some off the top of her range) or had the same vibrato since the early 80's.
It's interesting- I had the exact opposite experience going to see her during the Enchanted Tour. She was very lazy vocally, and used absolutely zero vibrato during my Raleigh, NC show. Her tone was decent enough, but there was none of the back breaking to prove herself enthusiasm of the Street Angel Tour. She was more in a cruise control state for Enchanted. At least from what I saw firsthand.

I ended up skipping the Trouble In Shangri La tour, but I remember the recordings I downloaded on Napster & Kazaa at the time sounded pretty bad. Lots of sharp, hoarse, off-key notes, etc. I know she was dealing with persistent illness that tour, though. Regarding Trouble In Shangri La as an album, I think that's the bottom of the barrel of her recorded vocals. So completely droning, nasally, deep, and lazy.