View Single Post
Old 11-20-2014, 09:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
You summed up the transition more clearly in 1 sentence than I did in 3 paragraphs!

It's interesting- I had the exact opposite experience going to see her during the Enchanted Tour. She was very lazy vocally, and used absolutely zero vibrato during my Raleigh, NC show. Her tone was decent enough, but there was none of the back breaking to prove herself enthusiasm of the Street Angel Tour. She was more in a cruise control state for Enchanted. At least from what I saw firsthand.

I ended up skipping the Trouble In Shangri La tour, but I remember the recordings I downloaded on Napster & Kazaa at the time sounded pretty bad. Lots of sharp, hoarse, off-key notes, etc. I know she was dealing with persistent illness that tour, though. Regarding Trouble In Shangri La as an album, I think that's the bottom of the barrel of her recorded vocals. So completely droning, nasally, deep, and lazy.
Street Angel Tour had its moments for sure. The re-recorded vocal for the House Of Blues on Rhiannon she did the ending JUST like the Rumours era. Every note.

On The Dance and even Enchanted she came close to those notes, but she had lost that top part of her belting voice. BUT if you go and listen to the Atlanta Woodstock live recordings on Youtube, even on the last show of the tour you can see she is taking chances and changing notes here and there at random and has that girlish sound in her voice that was not there in Street Angel (she was still a smoker during Street Angel).

I saw the first show of Enchanted tour and it was like seeing her in 1981! But, yah... I saw the first show of TISL tour and was less than impressed. The vocal coach may have helped her maintain her voice for a tour but it made her less into the vocal acrobatics soft and hard, gravel vs sweet she was still doing on Enchanted. EVEN at her worst and most horse on The Dance and Enchanted you could still hear that old youthful voice in there. Post TISL.... all you hear is the droning, monotone, narrow range most the time. EXCEPT when she is REALLY into it and trying.