View Single Post
Old 07-01-2013, 05:33 AM
Ledgie

It's by far my favourite Lindsey album. You can hear the hallmarks of 'Tango In The Night' throughout the songwriting and the production, so the solo album he spoke about that morphed into 'Tango' was no doubt carried over to 'Out Of The Cradle'. It's his most accessible album with the strongest pop melodies, but there are still enough signature left-of-centre Lindsey choices, not least of which was the instrumental introductions, that clearly signal this is a guitarist's record. It still makes for a dynamic listen. I've always had a soft spot for 'Soul Drifter', which feels like a less cheesy take on the rhythms used on 'You And I (Part II)', and the opening to 'Countdown' always reminded me of an ABBA song, positioning it firmly within a canon of classic pop songs. Other favourites are 'Doing What I Can', 'Surrender The Rain' and 'Wrong', but I could happily list the whole album.

I agree that he is yet to top 'Out Of The Cradle', although it's fair to say that Lindsey hasn't crafted an album that is as self-consciously accessible as this one before or since. The videos were all very good too, showing off a handsomely middle-aged Lindsey drenched in some lovely early 90s MTV work, ie. lots of sepia and natural tones!

x