View Single Post
Old 01-27-2024, 10:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
I think it is the star effect. Stevie is talented, but mostly she is or was a star. Christine was a great artist. It's like Alec Guiness, who was a GREAT actor, but Rock Hudson was a star.

Besides I don't know how much Christine wanted to be a star. I guess she was fine with the kind of popularity she got.
No doubt. I think Stevie's insecurities about not being a musician forced her to develop a character on stage. It was shtick and it created a huge following. She was brilliant to do that just like Madonna did in the mid 80s. She developed her own look and persona. Stevie has more talent than Madonna has in her little toe but the concept was the same. Stevie is one of the best song writers and at one point was one hell of a singer. Madonna's insecurities about not having talent to write and sing made her develop a similar shtick that really worked for her. It made her a star. Paul Fishkin also was very smart in marketing a solo Stevie. She would not be taken seriously as some airy fairy with sugary pop songs. They marketed her as a full rock artist. By doing so gave Stevie even more credibility. Sadly as the albums drifted on, she lost that concept. I don't think people expected Christine to sell out arenas. But when a legend comes to town with a hit solo album performing all the Mac's hits you would think would at least fill a small theater. This is what annoyed Lindsey and I am sure got to Chris when the shtick was more powerful than the music.