View Single Post
Old 01-28-2024, 03:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I would have stayed up all night to watch it on MTV except for the fact we did not have MTV. I would have sawed off my own foot to see it. I remember during her concert before "Too Much Is Not Enough" she asked everyone "Do you guys have MTV?" and she said how it was performed there. I felt deprived that I could not have seen it.
Back in those days there was no internet. The only way to hear about concerts coming to your city was the Sunday paper or if it was announced on the radio. But there was a third option. The rock station had a telephone number you would call and list off all the acts coming to down at various venues. When I called the number one day and heard Christine was coming to town I almost fainted. Generation Z will never understand that back then people called a number to find out the weather and what concerts were coming to town.
But I did record the HBO Mirage show from the TV on my tape recorder at 2am on a school night!
I can totally relate. at 13, I was already an obsessive Fleetwood Mac fan - yet I had not idea Chris was working on a solo record until the single was played on the radio in January of '84.

As I excitedly ran to get a blank cassette tape to record, I wondered if "Got a Hold On Me" was a NEW Fleetwood Mac song. I didn't hear Stevie and Lindsey's timbre in the song's harmony vocals. The DJ then announced the new single. Several days later, I heard "Got a Hold On Me" debut on Casey Kasem's "American Top 40 Countdown" -- as Chris' single was saddled up alongside Stevie Nicks' "Nightbird" somewhere in the 30's on the chart.

I ran to the record store on the day of the album release with my allowance money to buy Chris' new solo album. I wore out the record nonstop for weeks. When I learned that Chris was playing my city in June of 1984 in a small 2,000 seat theater, I was elated! I was first in line at the Foley's Ticketmaster outlet to buy my concert tickets. Ticket demand was so low that I scored FRONT ROW SEATS! Chris only managed to sell about 900 seats and played to a half empty theater.

I was in HEAVEN. One of the best concerts of my life.