View Single Post
Old 01-28-2024, 03:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
I can totally relate. at 13, I was already an obsessive Fleetwood Mac fan - yet I had not idea Chris was working on a solo record until the single was played on the radio in January of '84.

As I excitedly ran to get a blank cassette tape to record, I wondered if "Got a Hold On Me" was a NEW Fleetwood Mac song. I didn't hear Stevie and Lindsey's timbre in the song's harmony vocals. The DJ then announced the new single. Several days later, I heard "Got a Hold On Me" debut on Casey Kasem's "American Top 40 Countdown" -- as Chris' single was saddled up alongside Stevie Nicks' "Nightbird" somewhere in the 30's on the chart.

I ran to the record store on the day of the album release with my allowance money to buy Chris' new solo album. I wore out the record nonstop for weeks. When I learned that Chris was playing my city in June of 1984 in a small 2,000 seat theater, I was elated! I was first in line at the Foley's Ticketmaster outlet to buy my concert tickets. Ticket demand was so low that I scored FRONT ROW SEATS! Chris only managed to sell about 900 seats and played to a half empty theater.

I was in HEAVEN. One of the best concerts of my life.
Wow, we definitely were all in a parallel universe then.
I had to be creative and find a way to get to the concert. So I actually won tickets on some radio station. I cracked their code of when they would play a Fleetwood Mac song to win. I had to be the 7th caller and I was the first and 7th caller and won. I prayed and danced to the Rhiannon gods and guess what? Rhiannon was the song I won the tickets to. But wait. I did it again and won again. I was afraid they would say that I could not win twice so I gave my friend's name and address for them to send the tickets to.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 01-28-2024 at 03:59 PM..