View Single Post
Old 01-28-2024, 05:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
I can totally relate. at 13, I was already an obsessive Fleetwood Mac fan - yet I had not idea Chris was working on a solo record until the single was played on the radio in January of '84.

As I excitedly ran to get a blank cassette tape to record, I wondered if "Got a Hold On Me" was a NEW Fleetwood Mac song. I didn't hear Stevie and Lindsey's timbre in the song's harmony vocals. The DJ then announced the new single. Several days later, I heard "Got a Hold On Me" debut on Casey Kasem's "American Top 40 Countdown" -- as Chris' single was saddled up alongside Stevie Nicks' "Nightbird" somewhere in the 30's on the chart.

I ran to the record store on the day of the album release with my allowance money to buy Chris' new solo album. I wore out the record nonstop for weeks. When I learned that Chris was playing my city in June of 1984 in a small 2,000 seat theater, I was elated! I was first in line at the Foley's Ticketmaster outlet to buy my concert tickets. Ticket demand was so low that I scored FRONT ROW SEATS! Chris only managed to sell about 900 seats and played to a half empty theater.

I was in HEAVEN. One of the best concerts of my life.
I bought the tape with my babysitting money...

..and you're right that the low ticket demand worked in our favor....when we got to great adventure i remember we walked into the little ampitheater area and I told my parents we had to sit in the bleachers, because I figured people had tickets to get close to the stage. turned out hardly anybody came and we were able to get the hell out of the bleachers and walk aallll the way up to the stage and i was practically in the front row too! i think i was maybe in the second row, it was hard to tell w everybody standing and i was short lol. but omg i never thought i'd be so close to her. we made eye contact several times, i was in heaven also....

i remember the concert goodies they sold , i bought a little pin that said 'Christine' w some music notes on it, and a white tank top that had her songs listed in small black writing all over it, i think w music notes on it, too. i don't think i was ever brave enough to wear it to school but i wore it during the summers at home until my boobs got too big to fit in it anymore...damn shirt shrunk. i think i still have it saved upstairs. and the pin, too.

and i took crappy pics w my disc camera that i still have as well!

--Lis