View Single Post
Old 09-17-2014, 01:33 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
I'm not arguing your point, 'cause I totally get it, but I hear the lyrics differently. To me, the 'blurred lines' were those of relationship boundaries and monogamy. He's singing to a girl who is in a relationship with someone else, yet who is being very flirty with him despite that fact. He thinks her other guy is a schmuck and says 'I'm here to liberate you' He says to her, you're a good girl, but I know you want it (me), even though you have a boyfriend. The lines of fidelity and monogamy are what I interpret as being blurred. Maybe I hear it differently because I am male?

Have you seen the parody with a female group singing about a boy? Hilarious. Even has boys in booty shorts and heels, dancing.
I see it as being about consent 'cause of lyrics such as the extraordinarily charming 'I'll give you something big enough to tear your ass in two', the many times repeated 'I know you want it', and of course, 'what rhymes with hug me?'. The whole sexual violence and Rohypnol thing sounded really rapey to me; and as a seventeen-year-old girl (so yes, some of our differing views probably are to do with ~age and stage~), I have plenty of young peers who have been coerced into things they aren't at all comfortable with, usually by older guys who give them the whole 'but you're a good girl, and I know you want it' thing. And then there's this post I found a while back, contrasting the song's lyrics to things rape victims were told by their rapists: http://thesocietypages.org/socimages...eal-life-rape/

And I don't think I've seen that particular video, but I've seen a few of guys dancing in heels to Beyoncé and Lady Gaga- oh to have such talent! Compared to them, I'm a toddler in a pair of my mother's shoes!