View Single Post
Old 05-21-2015, 03:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gssmith View Post
Nobody says that. Usually people talk about how the women defined the band. I hate when minority groups and women make up BS to claim victimhood. I'm gay and a lot of gays do it too. But I guess everyone needs some sympathy. Especially fools. ��
Not true. While the general population probably think the Rumours lineup defines the band, there are also a lot of Peter Green or Bob Welch fans who think the Rumours lineup is too commercial in sound and over-hyped due to the personal drama resulting from the inclusion of women (usually with a focus on Stevie, i.e. because she slept around and went to rehab) in the band rather than the music itself. Often these people completely discount Stevie Nicks as a songwriter/human being with some level of intellect due to her witchy onstage persona and/or sex appeal and discount Christine by either neglecting her altogether or flat out refusing to acknowledge her contribution to the band's sound and success.

The sexism isn't always direct like, "The inclusion of women ruined the band," but it's more like Peter Green, Bob Welch and Lindsey Buckingham are all highly regarded as serious musicians, especially today as they age, whereas the women in the band might be commended for 1) their looks, or 2) their "witchy" or "light" mainstream hits, as though they put no serious work into crafting their own songs.

Tusk is often spoken of as an experimental album of Buckingham's creation, but in terms of the songs that most endure today, I really love Sara, Storms, Sisters of the Moon, Angel, and Beautiful Child! I think Stevie is not given enough credit for the way her songs transcend era through a combination of beautiful songwriting, universality and melodies that will stick in your head forever.

I'm surprised The Chain isn't higher on these lists... It is quintessential FM to me!

Last edited by lilyfee; 05-21-2015 at 04:01 PM..