View Single Post
Old 01-11-2009, 04:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
We've played this before, and you remember what happened?
What can I say, the monkey's back for more punishment. Actually this time, as opposed to Lindsey's prophesized guitar army (of our dreams) which still blows me away, I'm just setting you up for an easy kill in the name of pimpin'. It's rare to find any recording specifics behind the Bare Trees production on the Net. Then again, when it comes to Mick's recollections, they're not always picture perfect either. I'm still trying to make sense of this one, as found elsewhere:

"We recorded the one with the dog and the dustbin on the front [PGFM, the Mac's first album] at Decca's studio off Regent Street, and it was probably done in about three days, all live. We set our PA up in the studio and played it like a gig. We were immediately successful. Our first album didn't quite get to Number 1 but it was way up in the charts for a whole year. Yet it was nearly all covers."

- Mick Fleetwood from Debauchery! How Fleetwood Mac Survived It, Q Magazine, May 1990

Decca's Regent Sound A studios on Soho's Regent Street? I always had it PGFM was done at CBS Studios on New Bond. Wasn't it during their Mayall tenure that they called Decca Studios home, to wit the facility on Broadhurst Gardens in West Hampstead? Beyond that, didn't Mike Vernon first offer PGFM to Decca as a co-production, but they turned it down since Vernon and Green were insistent that Blue Horizon trump their label, and thus CBS entered the picture? Questions, Answers? Answers, Questions!

In any case, I'm a bit surprised BT was cut in but "a few days" time (though I always heard it was done in an expeditious manner), in fact I almost find a span that short hard to believe considering what they produced. If that's really the case, that's quite an accomplishment, as I never heard of Kiln House or Future Games being brought to full circle quite that quickly. Based on MF's comment, this most likely can be dated from January 1972 then (and not late '71) as the album was released in March (afaik), and from the Wembley area merely confirms it was done at De Lane Lea Music Centre.

EDIT: If you (or anyone else) have any additional specifics regarding the Bare Trees production from published or online sources, kindly furnish them.

Last edited by snoot; 01-11-2009 at 10:29 PM..