View Single Post
Old 08-18-2023, 11:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy poker View Post
Reading this, I felt obliged to put my two cents in as well.

I was pretty astonished to see that someone took the words right out of my mouth on this - with the exception of "Blood On The Floor" which I simply can't stand at all. But apart from that one it's a joy for me to listen through the whole album.

Now, I'm a hopeless Peter Green fan - so how come me preferring "Kiln House"? Although Greeny's my guitar main man and the biggest influence on my own guitar playing, it's mainly his uptempo songs and / or the ones in major keys that I get off on these days. By now I'm a pretty old geezer, and since the love of my life has passed away I have to struggle with depressions more than before. Whereas much on "Then Play On" is in minor keys, mostly melancholic and - rather more than not - bringing me down, "Kiln House" is such an uplifting album . . . as simple as that. And it has some of Danny Kirwan's best playing (which I'm a fan of just the same) on it. And Christine, of course - although uncredited, but clearly detectable!

I'm well aware that this preference might in fact present something of a sacrilege to a lot - if not most - early Mac fans, but aleuzzi just made me voice out this humble opinion, which I'm not ashamed about at all . . . even if I drifted quite a bit off-topic. "Kiln House" is a damned fine album for me money.
Amen! I happen to love the minor-key tunes on Then Play On. But Kiln House is just such an earthy, unpretentious joy. And Jeremy surpasses himself, I think. He was always a great imitator, but he comes into his own here using the 50s sun sound. Danny, of course, owns the spotlight whenever he takes it…