View Single Post
Old 09-17-2014, 11:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
I was going to mention Blue Letter in that post as well, but took it out. I don't like the Mac doing cover songs, period. This includes songs like Blue Letter. They have so much of their own material that has never seen stage time. Why take up real estate covering someone else's material?

That doesn't mean I don't like tunes such as Blue Letter or Seven Wonders. Those are both great pop songs. I even enjoy the '75 tour's renditions of songs like Hypnotized & Station Man. But when I pay to see Chris, Lindsey, and Stevie I want to hear THEIR songs. It's not that bizarre of a concept in my admittedly feeble mind.
It's a bizarre concept in my certified feeble mind. I pay to see a show, not a personal request list.
Blue Letter is a Fleetwood Mac song! It's on their album, and they have performed it many times. Just because it was written by someone other than a band member doesn't discount it. And it's not unusual for artists to spread their wings in live shows and perform other material other than their own. Fleetwood Mac, in comparison, is pretty tight and conservative with their set lists, never performing songs from the artists that influenced and informed their own style.

Tom Petty comes to mind. He has thrown in a lot of cover songs in his sets over the years; old songs from somewhat obscure artists that helped form him into the artist he is today. A good performance is a good performance, regardless of its origin. I don't think his audience complains that it show wasn't worthy their money because he didn't make it a greatest hits show.

I get how you feel. I try to release myself of too many exceptions; otherwise I set myself up for certain disappointment. But I would very much welcome an unexpected, out of nowhere song, or at the very least, they opened their set with a song they never opened with before. That simple change would be an exciting change. Is that too radical?

Last edited by PenguinHead; 09-17-2014 at 11:59 PM..