View Single Post
Old 10-21-2014, 09:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'd put "Welcome to the Room...Sara" on the list. It's one of her worst non-sequitur lyrics: "well it's not home...and it's not Tara...in fact, do I know you?...have I been here before?...this is a dream, right....deja vu...did I come here...on my own...oh I see..." Normally I like Nicks' lyrics quite a bit but this song was just SO rambling.

And the music. Well the demo actually adds some heft to the song, which is completely lost in Lindsey's "Let's make this an island theme" production arrangement. Honestly, it is *baffling*. It's one of the few times when I think Lindsey actually deliberately sabotaged a song of Nicks' in the arrangement/production stage.

For me, Nicks had a hell of a high standard musically from the white album through The Wild Heart, started to falter on Rock A Little, and then Tango was just incredibly disappointing. Considering that Buckingham and McVie both turned in some great music then, had Nicks been at her previous quality, Tango really could have rivaled Rumours. She came back a bit with TOSOTM, but then she had a long spell of very pedestrian music: Behind The Mask, Street Angel.....only "Paper Doll" and "Sweet Girl" showed signs of her former songwriting quality. That's why TISL is so great - she came roaring back to life with that album, and her releases since then have been excellent.