View Single Post
Old 09-17-2014, 01:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
I honestly wish that Stand Back & Don't Let Me Down Again were never performed on Mac stages, and would both be retired completely from present & future Mac setlists. I just don't think non-FM material should be performed on a FM stage, period. That being said, I truly do love the acoustic version of Go Insane, and it will always receive a get out of jail free card from me.

However, I am somewhat of the opinion of when the songwriter retires from the band, their songs should go with them. I have never cared for Lindsey's rendition of Oh Well, and I really, really didn't like S&L's versions of Christine's songs. To me, when 1 singer/songwriter performs another singer/songwriter's tunes, it's a cover song. And I do not care for cover songs on the FM stage. You call it paying homage, I call it lounge act.
I certainly understand and respect your opinions and feelings. I also feel that Stand Back should have never been performed (and become a staple!) by Fleetwood Mac (this also goes for Has Anyone Ever Written Anything for You). Stand Back singularly defines Stevie solo career, and has no alignment with Fleetwood Mac's overall style.

But I see Don't Let Me Down (or even Frozen Love, which was performed once by Fleetwood Mac), very differently. As Buckingham Nicks songs, they are so indicative of the influence Lindsey and Stevie brought to the band that they easily could be mistaken as Fleetwood Mac songs. Their performance of Don't Let Me Down Again on the LIVE album is fantastic! I consider it as Fleetwood Mac song.

Oh Well, also on the LIVE album, was released as a single and got a lot of radio airplay. I feel it was a nice, respectable nod to Fleetwood Mac's history and Peter Green. I really enjoy listening to all the old songs they performed early on circa 1975-1975: Station Man, Get Like You Used to Be, Hypnotized Spare Me a Little etc...

Christine's musicality is a large part of the band's style, so almost all of her solo songs fit the Fleetwood Mac mold.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 09-17-2014 at 01:57 PM..