View Single Post
Old 07-20-2014, 07:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Correction

Originally Posted by THD View Post
Joy of the Guitar Riff , if my memory is correct, used The Last Time, as a Stones example( which isn't a Stones song ,so the riff may not have been their addition ,and if it was, it was played by Brian Jones ,who probably invented it ?!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
Actually "The Last Time" is a Jagger/Richards song, though it borrowed a small part from "This May be the Last Time" by the Staple Singers. You're right that the riff on that song was played by Brian Jones.
The Rolling Stones - The Last Time (Charlie is my Darling - Ireland 1965)

Brian Jones also played the distinctive guitar part on "It's All Over Now". The Stones totally reworked that song - it was written by Bobby Womack, who passed away just a few weeks ago.
The Rolling Stones - It's All Over Now, T.A.M.I Show, 1964
I've just watched the repeats of the two riff progs on the BBC and my memory was not entirely correct (now there's a surprise !)

Firstly ,The Last Time was a full performance in the second prog Great Guitar Riffs at the BBC therefore I was wrong about there being two Stones songs mentioned in the first prog but it makes it even more shameful that the Stones only get a 3 second passing mention about Satisfaction in the whole prog(the Joy of Riff...) !

Secondly , the Cream doing Sunshine of Your Love was also a long performance in the Riff at the BBC and I was wrong about Ginger's shirt continuity- I now think the floral shirt was worn by a demented member of the audience doing some air drumming ( but I stand by Eric's off -on- off jacket !

Thirdly I think Brian Jones was a very interesting musician - played many instruments which gave those early Stones singles a distinctive flavour and The Stones was his band until it was hijacked , after all

Yep your right the last time is a Jagger /Richards composition I stand corrected !

I''ve now listened to the Staples singers version ,and the only real similarity is the melody (and lyric of course) of "Maybe the last tme I don't know" at the end of each verse, but there is no sign if the riff in any part of their song , so it must be |Brian's

Last edited by THD; 07-20-2014 at 08:05 PM..