View Single Post
Old 07-20-2014, 09:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
Originally Posted by THD View Post
Joy of the Guitar Riff , if my memory is correct, used The Last Time, as a Stones example( which isn't a Stones song ,so the riff may not have been their addition ,and if it was, it was played by Brian Jones ,who probably invented it ?!)

I've just watched the repeats of the two riff progs on the BBC and my memory was not entirely correct (now there's a surprise !)

Firstly ,The Last Time was a full performance in the second prog Great Guitar Riffs at the BBC therefore I was wrong about there being two Stones songs mentioned in the first prog but it makes it even more shameful that the Stones only get a 3 second passing mention about Satisfaction in the whole prog(the Joy of Riff...) !

Secondly , the Cream doing Sunshine of Your Love was also a long performance in the Riff at the BBC and I was wrong about Ginger's shirt continuity- I now think the floral shirt was worn by a demented member of the audience doing some air drumming ( but I stand by Eric's off -on- off jacket !

Thirdly I think Brian Jones was a very interesting musician - played many instruments which gave those early Stones singles a distinctive flavour and The Stones was his band until it was hijacked , after all

Yep your right the last time is a Jagger /Richards composition I stand corrected !

I''ve now listened to the Staples singers version ,and the only real similarity is the melody (and lyric of course) of "Maybe the last tme I don't know" at the end of each verse, but there is no sign if the riff in any part of their song , so it must be |Brian's
It's been written that to really hear Brian's vision of the Rolling Stones, you have to listen to their earliest studio recording, the IBC session from 11 March 1963. That was with the original six-member version of the band, including Ian Stewart on piano. One wonders how things might have gone differently if Stu hadn't been kicked out by manager Andrew Oldham. Of course, he did remain with the band as their road manager (and played on many of their recordings over the years) until his death in the mid-'80s.
The Rolling Stones - I.B.C. Sound Recording Studios