Thread: Danny Kirwan
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2014, 08:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[Excerpt From a Flavorwire interview]

http://flavorwire.com/487050/flavorw...t-powers-video

Flavorwire Premiere: Holy Sons Channels ‘Lost Highway’ for “Transparent Powers” Video

By Jillian Mapes on Nov 7, 2014 2:30pm

I love the hazy weight of “Transparent Powers,” and I heard you were inspired by early Fleetwood Mac guitarist Danny Kirwan. What’s the backstory behind this song?

EA: My other band Grails had been using Eastern scales for so many years that it made me want to turn back to a much more American style of guitar playing. Ironically, some of the classic reference points for the perfect “American sound” come from the British blues players who helped perfect the electric blues sound we all grew up with. The duo of Peter Green and Danny Kirwan radiates a subtle spiritualism, treating the guitar as a transformative or healing device. Not too dissimilar from when Fugazi plays an open E chord. It just doesn’t sound like anyone else and yet they don’t use any effects. This kind of power of expression comes back to a person’s unique love for music and the purity of their dedication. That clean and very exposed tone Danny Kirwan and Peter Green betrayed has had a huge influence on all the Holy Sons, Lilacs and Champagne, and Grails records for the last few years.