View Single Post
Old 04-11-2024, 07:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
I knew hit on a nail was an expression, but in case she wrote it mainly for rhyme reasons, I think it's ok. Sometimes authors wrote words that actually does not make complete sense, but the message is understood anyway. As Don Henley say "it's just a song!" when they criticized him because wine is not a spirit. Spirits are distilled beverages, and wine is a fermented.

So I called up the captain
Please bring me my wine, he said
"We haven't had that spirit here since 1969"
I think its ok. It works and fits. Its my only mild criticism. The Brits pull out all sorts of expressions that Americans know but may not use that much.
I heard on Dick Clark's countdown show in late 1990 that Skies The Limit was a last edition to the album and written quickly. Maybe its my knowledge of that that also makes me feel the music and lyrics were written rather quickly. I think it shows. But that is a compliment because it shows that even in a pinch, Chris could write a fairly good song rather quickly with the intent of putting one of her trademark signature peppy songs on the album. After first playback, the band felt the album was too dark and missing a Chris peppy love song. No fear, slap this first track on side one, problem solved? Well maybe

To your other point, Don Henley is 100% correct when people dissect a rock and roll song for technical accuracies. Good grief. Yeah ok, wine is not a spirit and Hotel California is a horrible song because of that reason
I want to know how the sky never expects it when it rains in the sea?
Throw them all out!

In Never Ever Changes, I swear Stevie at the end throws in several Nothing Never changes, no it doesnt. Good grief. A double negative in a rock song. Cancel the Wild Heart immediately!

Last edited by Macfan4life; 04-11-2024 at 07:35 AM..