View Single Post
Old 04-22-2010, 11:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
I am...don't get me wrong, I just can't listen to his Fleetwood Mac stuff for five days...

I actually prefer Peter's solo stuff and some of his more "gentle" songs such as Man of the World.

I do like Peter's guitar playing but it does all start to sound the same - only the lyrics vary. It is kind of like my opinion of Jeremy's Elmore James inspired songs.

I think I do have a renewed appreciation for Danny Kirwan though...
With no disrespect to Jeremy Spencer's Elmore James-esque blues songs, I think Peter's guitar playing changes while he was in FM. Obviously adding Danny Kirwan gave Peter Green a greater range to play with a backup guitarist playing rhythm. I don't think the songs heard live in the early months of 1970 can compare to the pre-Kirwan FM era. By this time there are more blues songs that are slower in pace, yet much more intense with the brilliant use of dynamics. For instance, the Roundhouse Chalkfarm show 4/70's version of "Black Magic Woman" is a much different animal compared to the Boston shows just two and a half months prior. In April/'70 Peter is playing as if Danny isn't there, Peter is playing as if he's possessed, and it's brilliant. The Boston shows were more laid back, and allowed Danny to contribute to the BMW jam.

It's the live music of Peter Green's time in FM that need to heard compared to the studio albums. They reveal so much more to what made this band respected by fellow musicians. They had their popularity in England, and most of Europe, Peter Green didn't stay in the band long enough to achieve success in the U.S..

As for Danny Kirwan, while I love the song "Hypnotized", I'm not compelled to own "Mystery to Me" compared to "Bare Trees". When Kirwan was fired, the original British version of Fleetwood Mac died.

Last edited by slipkid; 04-22-2010 at 11:29 PM..