View Single Post
Old 04-24-2010, 12:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
Actually I agree, the music for Danny's Chant is great just not the chanting. It's kind of like Teen Beat from years later...

Oh and on the PG solo stuff, I'm not sure he had much input into the Splinter Group stuff either but it is greatly enjoyable.

Perhaps my problem is that I don't have the musical education or the wide musical taste that a lot of you do on here (I bought my first album at 19 - such a late starter).

I don't have the ability to analyse and dissect an artist's playing I just listen to music and enjoy it.
"Child of Mine", from "Bare Trees", is a great song. Yet growing up as a pre-teen in the 70's, that song reminds me of the (US TV) "Brady Bunch" song called "Keep On". Just like the "Friends" theme was ripped from "Pleasant Valley Sunday" by the Monkees. As good as "Child of Mine" is, I can't erase that "hook" that I first heard through a silly American sitcom. This isn't Danny Kirwan's fault, it's those people behind the scenes that write songs for television.

The older you get, the more you "get it". In 1991 at a local Price Club (before it became Costco), I bought a four CD set of John Coltrane live in Japan, 1966. I was not aware at the time that by 1966, John Coltrane was playing free jazz. I heard a forty minute version of "My Favorite Things", I thought it was noise. It didn't sound anything like the Atlantic 1961 album. I've since sold that 4CD set, and have regretted that sale ever since.

This is why you don't understand "The End of the Game". The song, "Bottoms Up" is Miles Davis' "Bitches Brew" level material.

Last edited by slipkid; 04-24-2010 at 12:15 AM..