View Single Post
Old 06-28-2002, 04:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Great poll!

I've set about getting every live MP3 of this song I could find, and while I love them all, my favorites are from the White Album tour. He was so into it, kept on injecting sprited ad libs like "Days when the rain and the sun are gone Oohho (agonizing cry) Black as night! Agony's torn at my heart too long! OOH! (another agonized cry) So afraid, slip and I fall and I dieeeeeee!!!!!"

And then there's Mick's drumming. It's so much more energetic. He does a lot more building beats into lines like "Days when the rain and the sun are gone" and "agony's torn at my heart too long" etc. Like little dramatic introductory drum rolls to Lindsey's big lines. lol This is also true at the end.

(Side note: There's a version of "Blue Letter" from Largo during that tour where Mick drums so energetically at the end it's unbelievable!)

But the thing that I REALLY like about the white album tour's ISOs is that he goes high about 20 sec. before finishing (after the climax, he goes low, then the drums start going faster and he pops up again for a "NAIRNAIRNAIRNAIRNAIRNAIRNIAR" before he goes back low to do the last measures that wind it up). I ADORE that trick! It just seems to give it that extra kick, like "You think I'm winding down but before I go I'm gonna give you once last thrill!"

In fact, throughout the solo, he goes higher more often, but it's at the end that I really love it.

All these combined give it such an overall added exuberance - and that high part at the end that little bit of defiance - that make it my favorite. However, I think that very exuberance might have been why Lindsey changed it. After all, this is a dark song.....but dang, that rocked SOOO hard!

But honestly, as I said before, I love EVERY version of the song, the only thing that changes is the degree of adoration!