View Single Post
Old 04-10-2003, 12:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

First, please understand, I'm looking for insight here, not an arguement -
From the discs I'm most familiar with from PGSG, "Hot Foot Powder", "Destiny Road" & "Reaching for the Cold 100", on the last two, I find it's only on the "remakes" that I get that sense of joy - could be me overlaying my own feelings on the music - because I have to say, there are times when my enjoyment of the playing is dampened by the weakness of the song itself - example: "Burglar" , nice harp, weak song, "Turn Your Love Away", I really like the playing - I think the vocal is poor - on "RFTC100", one of my favorite tracks is "It Takes Time" (superior to the version he's recorded with the Brunning / Sunflower band) but I also feel it's Green's weakest vocal - and it's a shame -
maybe that's why the "HFP" collection works so well for me, I love the work of the guest artists and the material and production are much better suited to Green's voice - it's Watson who suffers by comparison on that disc, listen to "Milkcow's Calf Blues" -
If you could point in the direction of other tracks, on these discs or others, where you feel the playing really stands out, I'm interested in hearing them

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder