View Single Post
Old 11-26-2023, 06:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Emeritus View Post
I was thinking it was 73 also. the end of that year was really a disaster. And yes, I believe Clifford Davis has always maintained that FM knew (or maybe at least Mick and John?) about the fake band... maybe Bob welch was in the dark about it? I think somebody asked him about that in his Q&A but i can't remember what he said...

--Lis
The only way the story makes sense is for Mick to have known. Clifford hated Welch (musically and personally) so I wouldn’t be shocked if he’d floated a “new” Mac by Mick after the busted Mystery tour. In his book, Mick says Bob in LA started calling Mick at Benifolds and then, when the core trio landed in LA to meet him, they found Bob pissed off. I imagine that “pissed off” was more than just acting as the band’s de facto manager.

Meanwhile, from what Weston said in his Q&A, it sounds like John and Chris were threatening to quit all the time. So, the lawsuit—which was settled out of court—couldn’t solely have been the result of a delusional manager. What Clifford did was awful, yes: but was it all of his design?