View Single Post
Old 01-18-2024, 03:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
Oh youve sent me down the memory lane wormhole this morning! Memphis 1982 was one of the first bootlegs I ever owned. I paid someone $10 on eBay and they burned me a CD (my god how old am I?) and mailed it complete with a printed label and artwork for the case. It’s a bit rough and certainly less polished than what had originally pulled me into the 1982 live stuff which was the snippets of the Mirage Video I had been able to see over the years on the net long before YouTube and high speed internet!

Lindsey sounds absolutely sloshed by the end of the show. GYOW is interesting and where he brings the solo to a close and plays the bass riff or whatever you want to call it (the da-da-dada-da-daaa-da—-dadada daaaaaaaaa ….lol don’t any of you musicians come at me for this abomination, you know what I’m talking about!) is a bit of a shambles. He also sounds pretty hammered during Blue Letter “eryvoithyoueverheewwerd” which cracks me up.

I love how every show was different in the “before” times. You play me any song from a 2009 show or a 2014 show and I’d with a few exceptions not know the difference at all.
OMG so true. The performances were so much more organic and surprising those days. Mick even alludes to this in his first book but about the Tusk tour. He wrote something like some nights we were messy and off while other nights they were so tight and played the best they ever played. Plus in those days you never knew how Stevie was going to be. Was she going to be so high that her performance was impacted. Her Wild Heart tour and RAL tour were like that. One night was really good and then there were nights that were incoherent and scary. But hey, its rock and roll.
I saw one of the early Tango shows and during the end of Blue Letter, Stevie says into the mic "new ending." I think the band messed up or something but most of the audience did not catch it. There is such a less likely chance of any of that happening today. This is why I love the US Festival performance so much. They went on last and were so drunk and high after partying all day and each song has flubs. I love it! Its a very messy performance and we only have gotten to see like only 5 songs. Can you imagine what the other songs have in store?